Hi! I’m Kate.
I am a registered counsellor and I have been working in various helping services for the past 25 years.
I took a degree in Psychology and Communication Studies and after that I worked in a further education college, where I set up and ran the Student Advice Service. I started my counselling training during this time. At the time, I was one of the youngest people in the country to train in counselling skills and theory. I also trained as a teacher during my time in this role.
After this, I went on to work in local government where I was responsible for overseeing drugs and alcohol education services and delivering training across the county.
When I finished this job, I completed my training as a counsellor and I also went on to work in a school as a Pastoral Manager and then in Youth Services as a Service and Line Manager. I am currently employed in a university as a Mental Health Coordinator, where I work four days per week.
I have counselled in various settings, including for MIND and in a domestic abuse agency.
During my career, I have counselled people who have come to me with various issues including:
- Domestic Abuse
- Drugs and Alcohol
- Financial Issues
- Mental Health and Wellbeing
- Personal Growth
- Relationships* (including parent/teenager relationships and step family dynamics)
- Self Harm
- Sexual Identity
- Suicidal Ideation
- Work related issues
*I am not a couples counsellor
What ever issue that you are coping with that brings you to my door, you will be treated with respect, fairness and compassion
I am a Registered Member of the BACP and as such I work to their ‘Ethical Framework for the Counselling Professions’.
I receive monthly supervision from a qualified supervisor and I also undergo my own on-going personal therapy and professional development.
Qualifications and Training
My counselling/psychology professional development so far is as follows:
- BA (Hons) Psychology and Communication Studies
- CSCT (AEB) Counselling Skills
- CSCT (AEB) Counselling Theory
- CPCAB L4 Therapeutic Counselling
- Advanced Counselling Skills (CPD)
- Counselling Children and Adolescents (CPD)
- Counselling in Educational Settings (CPD)
- Transactional Analysis (CPD)
- Rational Emotive Behaviour Therapy (CPD)
- Cognitive Behaviour Therapy (CPD)
- Coaching and Mentoring (CPD)
- Level 5 Diploma in Management and Leadership
- PGCE in Post Compulsory Education and Training
- Dissociative Identity Disorder (CPD)
- Childhood Sexual Abuse (CPD)
- Working With Shame (CPD)
- Suicidal ideation and self harm (CPD)
- Diploma in Aromatherapy (currently studying)
- Diploma in Transpersonal Psychology (currently studying)
- Diploma in Meditation Teaching (currently studying)
I am based in Kent, close to Maidstone and Rochester and five minutes from the M20 and the A2.